On August 18 and 19, I had the pleasure of being part of the Artsy Judgey McJudgertons first group art show at Trolley Square. As fellow alumni from the University of Utah, we normally get together once a month to critique each other's work, and we decided it was time for our first show. There were twelve of us who felt ready for this challenge and we each helped with set up and clean up. The space at Trolley Square was gifted to us (because we held our University Senior Art Show there two years ago and they love us!) as long as we were able to get insurance. The temporary hanging walls were on loan from the university's art building and thanks to Nate for the truck and most of the group, we were able to install them in an afternoon.
Other artists included: Nathaniel Read, Cheryl Sandoval, Eric Birkin , Dane Goodwin, Lya Yang, Mitchell Lee, Heather Olsen, Keith Beard, Karem Orrego, Christina Jones, and Gwen Juvenal.
Some fun facts:
- Cheryl's family baked all the cookies and provided the snacks.
- We all painted/made a version of a cookie for the poster and advertising, and social media brought us a crowd.
- Believe it or not, the paintings that hung on the brick walls were only being supported by Gorilla Tape!
- One of our group decided to move to Boston before our show so Dane stepped in with almost no prewarning. He had just finished with Craft Lake City so he was set to go!
- Three of my favorite teachers from the U came to support us! Al Denyer, Maureen O'Hare Ure, and Lewis Crawford.
- Our show was shared on the University's College of Fine Arts Instagram account and other social media.
Needless to say, we consider the show to be a success! Give us some time and we will definitely do it again!